[Qgis-user] Record the cracks in our (private) streets

Doug dougf.ccn at comcast.net
Fri Dec 13 21:56:46 PST 2019

I have imported a set of drone pictures to QGIS. They show the streets
in my subdivision. I want to "record" the cracks in the pavement to be
able to compare  them over time. I want to be able to segment the
streets in arbitrary lengths. For each segment, I want to "draw" the
cracks (in layers) to record where they are. Every year or two I will
repeat the process. The purpose is to be able to compare the set of
cracks in successive snapshots to see how the asphalt is holding up
and identify underlying problems. I would love to have some software
to find the cracks for me and generate the crack layer, if anyone
knows of such software.

First problem: I can trace the outline of the streets to generate a
layer which represents to road surface. Is there a way to slice that
layer by picking two points to "slice" the layer and then have two
layers? And then repeat the process so that I get the segments that I
want? Alternatively, is there a way to create a segment and "snap" to
next segment so there is not overlap or missing space?

Second problem. Given that I have a layer representing a segment of
the road surface, can I "draw" the cracks for that segment such that
every line in the cracks layer is related (as in SQL) to the segment
it reside in?

Once I have the road surface segments, and the associated cracks, I
can then use SQL to generate all sorts of reports on the cracks:
average and median length, number of horizontal and vertical cracks,
total crack length per road surface segment (or square feet), etc.

Thanks.

Doug