[Qgis-user] Record the cracks in our (private) streets

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Sat Dec 14 11:22:51 PST 2019

Thanks for sharing Christoph,

It’s an interesting paper and I will read it more carefully.  Another approach could be to make a point cloud with the drone images and to work with a high resolution  DEMs. Depending in the drone camera and flight altitude, you could have a really good cm level DEM.  That could help with both semi automatic classification methods, and deep learning.  It could make it much  easier also to identify cracks visually by building, for example, a shade model.

The time spent doing this automatically is likely going to be bigger than the time spent doing it manually.  It depends on the scale and goal of the project of course.

You could always use the KISS method (Keep it simple stupid!) and just spray paint the cracks before flighting  the drone. Depends on what you want to achieve.

Cheers!

Nicolas