[Qgis-user] Georeferencer

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sun Dec 22 23:15:43 PST 2019

Hi Dave,

can you go over:

https://docs.qgis.org/3.4/en/docs/training_manual/forestry/map_georeferencing.html

and tell us if you hit all those buttons?

Most obvious reasons I can think of based on the info you provide:
- the CRS ("projection") you save your referenced images in is different
then the one of your QGIS project: make sure QGIS knows which crs is
your georeferenced image in (that is: the crs you were georeferencing to)

- the georeferencer plugin saves to geotiff if I'm right, so in a
geotiff the coordatines will be IN the file. For other file formats
there is a 'world file' created [0]. Did you copy both your world file
AND the image?

If you open a new project and ONLY load your referenced image, do you
see appropriate coordinates in the bottom bar of QGIS? If you
georeferenced to lat lon you should see -180 < xy < 180 (epsg:4326 ==
lat lon( etc. If you used google maps you will see epsg:3857 etc etc
Be sure to either georeference using a map in your goal crs, OR use QGIS
later to reproject to your destination crs.

Hope This Helps, Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_file