[Qgis-user] geojson file permission settings

Groene Bij mail at groenebij.nl
Thu Feb 21 08:50:42 PST 2019

Hi all,

I am using qgis and qgis2web to produce webmaps. Each layer is stored as a
javascript file containing the geojson data. This contains the geometry and
the attributions.

When publicly publishing the webmap I want people to view the map. But I
also want to protect the map data (geometry and attributions) from being
copied. It's my time and effort to produce the map (geometry and
attributions) and I don't mind people viewing it, but I do mind if map data
is being copied.

When I set the file permissions to 640, the webmap will not show. If I set
it to 644, the geojson data file is easily found (the index.html shows you
where it is stored) and then copied.

Are there other ways to easily host and publicly show webmaps but keep the
actual data protected?

Thanks