[Qgis-user] After deleting points, attribute rows persist

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Tue Jan 8 01:16:45 PST 2019

Hi Matthias

Am 08.01.2019 um 09:21 schrieb Matthias Kuhn:
> On point layers, I was always thinking of points being composed of a
> single node. On multi point layers, I was thinking of each part being
> composed of a single node, so I wasn't thinking of "either a node or a
> point" but both. With this concept in mind, the whole set of available
> tools works fine and predictable for me.

Well, in GIS a vertex is normally defined as a point being part of a
line [1], [2] therefore calling a tool "vertex tool" and making it
working on points seems inconsistent to me (in the previous mail I
called it "node tool", that was my mistake, I know saw it is in fact
called "vertex tool"), although, as I said, I do not really care, just
pointing out.

> Moving parts is supported now via the node tool by selecting all nodes
> of a part. It's also possible to delete a part on a
> multiline/multipolygon layer with the node tool. So also with respect to
> this it doesn't do anything special for point layers.

Oh, I was not aware of this, although selecting only the nodes of one
part can be impossible with the new vertex tool (see my related mail
last month), so the use is limited.

> I can see, that it may lead to confusion sometimes as described in the
> original email here. I am not able to say how often this happens in
> comparison to how often the node tool is used consciously.

The delete part tool can lead to confusion, too. I regularly have users
that click delete part instead of delete feature and end up with
geometryless datasets. Concerning the original question I think the
behaviour to not delete the feature is definitely ok.

> The node tool even gives a hint on the message bar, that "the geometry
> has been cleared, please use the add part tool to set the geometry for
> this feature". So it's trying to not be too obscure. Maybe the whole
> confusion can be ironed out by polishing this text a bit?
>
> Considering the separate tool for moving parts of multi-geometries, I
> agree it sounds like a valid tool to have, but I am a bit concerned of
> the clutter to benefit ratio. Does anyone have an idea how often this
> would be useful in reality?

I did never have any need for it in the last couple years :-)

Bernhard

[1] https://gisgeography.com/gis-dictionary-definition-glossary/#V
[2] https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=25354 page 24