[Qgis-user] Project files with local and remote connections to postgreSQL databases

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Jan 11 00:20:52 PST 2019

Hi,

Yes - it is a perfect case for PostgreSQL service definitions.

See
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/managing_data_source/opening_data.html#postgresql-service-connection-file

This way you are flexible: you don't connect to a
hostname/ip/port/database connection but to a service definition - which
can be managed centrally without having to change the data sources in QGIS.

On different computers and users you can have different service
defitions (pg_service.conf files) - on one machine pointing to
"localhost", on another to a "remote host".

That way you can also easily migrate your PostgreSQL server to a
different hostname or IP without having to change hundreds of QGIS
projects that point to a fixed hostname.

It is good practice to use PostgreSQL service definitions anyway.

On windows, make sure you use Unix line ending in your service defintion
file, or you may get troubles using it.

Greetings,

Andreas