[Qgis-user] [Qgis-community-team] training manual QGIS 3

Janneke van Dijk janneke.qgis at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 05:51:33 PST 2019

Hi Harrissou and others,

With your steps described below it was perfectly clear what I had to do,
no confusion in my mind whatsoever. So I just tried to compare it to the
documentation (link:
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/documentation_guidelines/first_contribution.html#share-your-changes-via-pull-request)
<https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/documentation_guidelines/first_contribution.html#share-your-changes-via-pull-request>
and will try to describe what according to me was not clear in the
documentation.

In the documentation, I had arrived at step 1, second bullet point,
where it says "you therefore need to leave that page and follow the next
step". Then, moving to the next step (2) it says "you can create a new
pull request at any moment from many pages" - which "tricked" me into
pressing the button "new pull request" from my own page - and I think
the compare across forks option is either not there, or maybe it is not
so obvious, and the "if needed" addition made it sound it might not be
that important to click the compare across forks. Once you do click
"compare across forks" it is more clear that what I thought was the
actual "master" was just my own master, not qgis master.

For me, as a complete beginner, I would prefer the method you describe
below (1. 2. 3. off you go) if it is a fool-proof way of creating your
pull request. I do not necessarily need to know about all the other
ways. Would it be possible/make sense to maybe have a simple workflow
that always works (even if it is not the most efficient one) and
separately discuss alternative methods?

I'll come back to the fix me button in another mail.

Janneke