[Qgis-user] troubleshooting: point shapefile (from Excel table) does not display after CRS change

Ana Marques anamarques.ea at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 10:38:24 PST 2019

Hi everyone,

I used an Excel file to create a point vector shapefile in WGS84. The
original table in the Excel file has a X and Y column with coordinates in
WGS84. So far so good, this first shapefile displays well in QGIS projects.

But I need the shapefile in EPSG:27700, so I followed the training manual's
instructions on "Saving a Dataset to Another CRS" to create a new shapefile
with the right CRS:

   - Right-clicked on the point layer in the Layers list
   - Selected Export > Save Features As
   - ...

[Footnote: The dialog window that shows up in my PC (Windows 7) is not
exactly the same as in the manual (Mac) so I am not sure if I have set all
the options correctly.]

Now the Problem: I add this new point vector shapefile (in EPSG:27700) to a
QGIS project, it appears listed in the layers list, but the points do not
display on the map, even if I add it as vector layer to a new project
having previously defined EPSG:27700 as the CRS for all new projects. The
attribute table of the vector shapefile in EPSG:27700 seems the same as the
original Excel file (which has XY in WGS84) - are the EPSG:27700
coordinates stored but not visible?

   1. Do you have any recommendations on how to make the point vector
   shapefile in EPSG:27700 display on the map?
   2. When saving the shapefile in the new CRS, which layer options should
   I use (e.g.: Resize: yes/no, etc.)?

I have QGIS Desktop 3.4.1 (started off with 3.2.2 but the problem remains).
I am new to QGIS so maybe I am missing something really obvious...

Thanks in advance,
Ana