[Qgis-user] Processing Saga Raster Volume

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 21:52:29 PST 2019

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 at 18:53, Lene Fischer <lfi at ign.ku.dk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I´m trying to calculate a raster volume using Saga Raster Volume.
>
> The process run smoothly in 5 sec., but I can´t see the result.
>
> I have the processing log  and result viewer open - but I get no result.
>

> I have a work around with the Raster calculator and zonal statistic - but I prefer the Saga version.
>
> Is it a bug or ?

Debatable. The volume IS there, it's just hidden in the middle of all
the SAGA terminal output in the log view. You can't automatically save
the volume, or use it within a Processing Model. So - it works, but
the SAGA tool has limited value. Personally, I'd say yes, a bug.

But the good news is that the algorithm is trivial to port to QGIS,
which I've done in https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/8912. With any
luck we can get this new native tool included in 3.6, so we'll have a
good out-of-the-box algorithm available which calculates the volume,
allows saving it to a HTML report or vector table, and allows use of
the calculated volume within a Processing model.

>From the PR description: "...honestly, if Lene struggles with a QGIS
tool, that indicates that the tool has issues -- not the user..." ;)

Nyall