[Qgis-user] writing vector data for QGIS input from a python script using osgeo ogr

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Tue Jan 22 09:31:14 PST 2019

Hi,

You will find most of the information on this page. https://qgis.org/en/docs/index.html#testing.   The documentation is good but must always keep up with the ever evolving QGIS.  This is not always the case as it is also maintained by a group of well meaning volunteers.  You will find some information in the cookbook but this concern the API and not necessary that file format. https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/geometry.html. There are so many files formats that QGIS does not document or give examples on every one.

As for the file formats accepted in Qgis, you should probably refer to the GDAL library.   https://www.gdal.org/. There, you will see the various files formats that QGIS
can use as it relies on GDAL to read and write to files.  Documentation on that site is good but as an untrained programmer, I find it hard to navigate.  You might prefer The Gdal Cookbook.  It is outdated as it’s based on gdal 1.x and not 2.x but it contain easy code that can help you out.  https://pcjericks.github.io/py-gdalogr-cookbook/ It’s the best python gdal  tutorial for dummies out there!  I mostly fall in the dummy category!

Cheer!
Nicolas