[Qgis-user] Featured plugins: nominations

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 08:50:01 PST 2019

I agree with Harrissou that if the plugins are not available in QGIS 3 then
they shouldn't be on the Featured list. The plugins I use the most are:

Lat Lon Tools <http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/latlontools/> I might be a
little biased here but it has the best coordinate snapshot and zoom to
capabilities, a number of conversion utilities, and digitizing points using
text strings in a number of formats.
Shape Tools <http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/shapetools/> is also equally
used for its geodesic shape creation, geodesic digitizing functions,
geodesic measurements, as well as a number of other tools.
Plugin Reloader <http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/plugin_reloader/> I will
second this one as it is essential for plugin development although its user
base is developers which is a subset of QGIS users.
Profile Tool <http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/profiletool/> I use this one
fairly often although I wish its graphics display looked better.
QuickMapServices <http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/quick_map_services/> This
is very useful for quickly adding a base layer.
Memory Layer Saver <http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/MemoryLayerSaver/> It
is nice to know that those temporary layers will still be there after a
QGIS project is saved and reloaded.
Freehand raster georeferencer
<http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/FreehandRasterGeoreferencer/> This one has
been quite useful to me this past year as I was trying to georeference some
old maps. This has a smaller user base as it is a more focused tool so I
don't know where you draw the line on what should be featured or not.

In my opinion the featured plugins should be a combination of really useful
plugins and newer plugins that people don't really know about, but have a
lot of potential. Personally I would avoid plugins that are interfaces to
commercial services - not because they are not important, but simply
because I would prefer highlighting open source services and plugins. I
would probably avoid plugins that are specific to a certain country.

Is there a good plugin to interface with "R"? I personally haven't used R,
but know a lot of people that do? If there is a good plugin that works well
it might be a candidate.

Those are my thoughts. If I get some time to look at some of the newer
plugins then I might add to this.

Best wishes,

Calvin