[Qgis-user] [QGIS-Developer] Sunrise, Sunset, Lunar Calculations

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 08:58:17 PDT 2019

Before I go too far with this I want to check to see if the following
package could be used in QGIS.

astropy (https://www.astropy.org/) has a modified BSD-2 license. See
https://github.com/astropy/astropy/blob/master/LICENSE.rst

This would be the library I would pick. It might be an overkill, but in the
long run it could also be used by anyone with imagery from the Moon, Venus,
Mars or any of the planets and it would have all the necessary functions
they would need. The activity on the project is very high. One thing I have
not checked is to see if their algorithms are historically and anciently
accurate which would be of interest to archaeologists.

An astropy add on is astroplan (https://astroplan.readthedocs.io/en/latest/)
which has the same license and has a number of utilities that use astropy
that calculate sunrise, sunset, moon phase and illumination. It is not as
actively developed, but it may not need to be.

Skyfield (https://rhodesmill.org/skyfield/,
https://github.com/skyfielders/python-skyfield/) seems to have a lot of the
basic routines, but it is primarily developed by one person. It has a MIT
license, but seems to be actively developed. This might be my second choice
of libraries.

Calvin