[Qgis-user] QuickMapServices plugin question

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Fri Jul 12 08:14:08 PDT 2019

Hi,

Sorry I can really respond because I simply don’t know what services are used by the very useful Quickmap plugin.  There does seem to be some licences issues at play as pointed out by others.  I imagine that the google map API is being used because the google earth API no longer exists.  I also imagine that the google earth engine API is also not being used.  That API could give use access to a lot of free data but you can get those directly from the service providers like NASA also.

I always wondered about the google map license so I googled it!  You can find it here.
https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/terms/

Section 3.2.4 Restrictions Against Misusing the Services. is what you need to read.  Basically, we can’t use it:(.  (but most people do).  I have a tendency to use it to find data or for georeferencing data when i’am confused, but I never publish anything with a Google map image as that would clearly violate the termes of the agreement (Plus it gives them all the incriminating evidence that you actually misused the services!!).

I also wonder what ESRI thinks of the plugin using the ESRI server images on QGIS... if it’s there, one assumes it’s free to use but that is most likely a false impression.

It would be nice to enforce that the plugin providers clearly and explicitly explain the various licenses.  I’am also concerned with proprietary plugins using QGIS like Lastools.  That is a great tool (don’t get me wrong here) but last time checked, some modules were OpenSource and some not. I assume the QGIS license permits Proprietary plugins.  To figure what is OpenSource and what is not in LasTools, you very must read the readme files hidden(in clear view) in the directories (unless that changed lately).  That gives users the impression that the software is free when it’s not. That does not help the software developers choosing the proprietary root... but that’s another story...

Nicolas