[Qgis-user] Data volume wms-layer

Patrick Dunford enzedrailmaps at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 07:15:21 PDT 2019

I left this question for a few days because I hoped someone with more
technical knowledge than me of how Qgis works with this type of data
would be able to answer your question. As a user I don't have the same
technical insight as one of the developers who may be reading this
question and more familiar with data processing in the software.

I currently work with projects that use large numbers of data layers of
raster type, however in my case they are all in files that I have
downloaded to my computer and loading locally, rather than any type of
data that could be accessed from an online server.

I have found in experience with working with raster layers that Qgis 3
is handling them quite differently from previous versions (I have been
using Qgis since 1.8). It was not until version 2.14 that I started
working with the projects using these large numbers of raster images,
and have been using them through 2.14, 2.16 and 2.18 and now in releases
of version 3.

The map projects I am working on cover a part of New Zealand
specifically a corridor around 6000 kilometres long and about 20 metres
wide which is covered by geojpeg rasters varying from 0.4 to 0.1 metre
per pixel resolution and the size of each raster is generally 4800x7200
pixels.

The experience I had is that Qgis 3.x appears to be caching a lot more
raster data in memory than I saw with 2.x and it seems to be caching
every raster in my project, not just the ones that I am displaying at
the moment. It uses up the resources in my system a lot faster than 2.x
ever did. And if I use larger size raster files, I have seen it run out
of resources on the system more than once.

So in terms of the way it consumes resources for rasters, my experience
is more related to the way I see it using up the physical resources on
my computer like the physical or virtual memory. I ended up adding more
RAM to my system and more swap disk space to help deal with the extra
drain on resources that has happened since upgrading to version 3.

There is a section in the settings dialog that specifically relates to
rendering. I'm not completely confident this is the type of situation
that would be relevant to your scenario. It may affect my situation more
if I spent some time playing with these settings (render caching for
example) but it might not be so relevant to you, unless the render
caching is causing the software to download a lot of raster data from
your WMS server. You could try experimenting with some of those settings.