[Qgis-user] Vertex tool not working on lines when style with 'attribute' assigned

Peter Cornelissen peter at cornelissen.org.uk
Fri May 24 03:35:37 PDT 2019

Has anyone else come across this?

Personally I think this is a bug or possibly something wrong with my installation, but I've not had any confirmation from the QGIS team.

If I have a styled line or polygon and use the 'attribute' expression in the filter, then once the shapefile has been saved, closed and then re-opened, then the vertex editor does not work and I cannot edit any of the lines or polygons in the shapefile and the only way I can is to open the same shapefile without a style of with one not using attribute in the filter. I use the same shapefile numerous times and use the layer name to  display specific lines as relevant to that layer. E.g. the table has a field called Plan1801, so the layer name starts Plan1801. An example of the style is: attribute($currentfeature, left(@layer_name,8)) = 'Y' AND Type = 'Chalk'), so if a record in the shapefile table has a 'Y' in the Plan1801 column and 'Chalk' in the type column it will display as that style. If I change the style to Plan1801 ='Y' AND Type = 'Chalk' the vertex editor works fine.

There maybe another way around this, but there are approx. 20 different styles for the lines and a similar number for the polygons used in each layer and getting on for 30 layers (and growing) using it so I do not want to have create dedicated styles for each layer or have a separate shapefile for each layer. If there is, I have not as yet found one.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am now using version 3.6.3, but the problem has been there at least since 3.6.0, possibly earlier (not there in the old node editor in 2.8, but I know that was a completely different beast).

Peter Cornelissen