[Qgis-user] QGIS and GeForce

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Mon May 27 05:57:27 PDT 2019

Hi,

That is a good question I would like to see developers  (which I am not) answer.  Generally speaking, having a dedicated graphics card in a laptop will be an upgrade over a system that uses a cpu/gpu on the same chip, specially if the card has its own onboard memory.   As you know, the cost of a pro graphic card may be very high.

A better option could (perhaps) be to look at gaming laptops with a dedicated RTX video card like a RTX 2060 or better.  This way, you could  spend  more on RAM or a bigger SSD that will make a bigger difference in speed. ATI Vega cards maybe a better option as OpenCL is now used to speed up QGIS and ATI has a better support for that standard.  I must admit thought that I have not been able to activate that option successfully on a Windows 10 machine with an RTX2060 but this will probably be fixed some day when this becomes more stable.

For 3D AutoCad, it’s apparently faster with a pro card but I have never really noticed a difference.  Perhaps a content creator could comment on this. My experience on workstations is that a high end gaming card is a better choice than a lower end pro card at the same price point. Comments welcomed.

Nicolas