[Qgis-user] upgraded 3.10 project, now it no longer zooms to point location, but works on new projects

Jason Carlson jason at starlandcounty.com
Tue Nov 5 09:26:31 PST 2019

I think I solved the problem. I changed the projects EPSG to 4269 (what
almost all my layers are in) and everything got squashed vertically. That
also happened if I went to 4326 (and that one also threw out my styles as I
often use map units for my styles). I then tried 3401 (which is just three
of my layers) and everything looks to be working and the issue with not
being able to zoom to a point goes away. The only downside was all my
layout maps are blank but I just needed to reposition them and all is good.
I did end up finding one layer in our archives that was EPSG 26912 and that
was a really old municipality border shapefile so I'm guessing that used to
be projects starting point years back.

There was also a side benefit, before switching to EPSG 3401, everytime I
closed QGIS it crashed. There was never any data corruption so it wasn't a
big concern, but now it just closes as it should.

Thanks for getting me looking in the right direction.

*Jason Carlson*

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 10:51 AM Jason Carlson <jason at starlandcounty.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> since learned they didn't really understand GIS at all so I needed to
> unlearn a lot of what they showed me.
>
> Because most of my layers were 4269, I have been using that in new
> projects. I was thinking of changing that in existing projects but as they
> all seemed to work fine, I never did look into messing with that.
>
> When I open the CRS tab of the Project Properties. In the "Recently used
> coordinate ref systems" the top 7 are * Generated CRS, not standard ones.
>
> *Jason Carlson*
>
> IT/GIS Administrator
>
> *403.772.3793*
>

> On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 10:02 AM Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jason,
>>
>> Which coordinate reference system did you define in your project?
>> https://docs.qgis.org/3.4/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_projections/working_with_projections.html#project-coordinate-reference-systems
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Matthias
>> On 11/4/19 5:43 PM, Jason Carlson wrote:
>>
>> Hi all, I've been using QGIS for just over a year now and exclusively
>> since about February as I didn't reinstall ArcGIS on my new computer at
>> that time.
>>
>> In QGIS 3.10 if I open a project (created in a different previous version
>> of QGIS ranging from 3.4 - 3.8) and then I:
>>
>>    1. Open an attribute table of a layer that contains point geometry
>>    2. Select one of the records in that attribute table
>>    3. Click "Zoom Map to selected rows"
>>
>> It puts me hundreds of miles off my map entirely (so a blank screen).
>> This only happens with records that have single point geom (if it is a line
>> or polygon it works fine).
>>
>> If I remove the layer and re-add it back, the problem still exists.
>> However, if I create a brand new project in 3.10 and add that exact same
>> layer (all are stored in PostGIS database), the issue is not there and it
>> works as expected. So the issue seems to stem from old "working" projects
>> that are now opened in the newer version of QGIS.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this or something similar? Is there anyway of fixing
>> the project file without having to recreate it all from scratch so I can
>> use these in the new version of QGIS?
>>
>> *Jason Carlson*
>>
>> IT/GIS Administrator
>>
>> *403.772.3793*
>>
>> *Starland County*
>> *Morrin, AB  *
>> *(403) 772-3793*
>> *www.starlandcounty.com <http://www.starlandcounty.com>*
>>
>> *Our organization accepts no liability for the content of this email, or
>> for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information
>> provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. The
>> content of this message is confidential. If you have received it by
>> mistake, please inform us by an email reply and then delete the message. It
>> is forbidden to copy, forward, or in any way reveal the contents of this

*
*