[Qgis-user] QGIS 3.4.2 & 3 still very slow to work in Windows 10

Jason Carlson jason at starlandcounty.com
Tue Nov 12 10:04:04 PST 2019

Hi David, I'm new to the list so missed your previous communications but
I've been using QGIS for about a year now. Here is a bit of my experience
of moving to 3.4 from 2.8, hopefully it might be of use. I apologize if
this is stuff you already tried as I didn't read back the history. When I
moved from QGIS 2.8 to 3.4 back around Feb-March of this year, mine started
hanging a lot and without any consistency on what I was doing at the time
it would hang. It was also now crashing everytime I closed QGIS as well as
more frequently while actually using it. I found 3 issues that fixed my
problems.

For me, what was causing the huge stalls every now and then, was an issue
with my file storage. My project file was saved in a Google Drive folder. I
knew it wasn't recommended to do this but I wasn't actually sharing it with
others so the only changes were at my end so nothing should be locking the
file at the other end. I also had them flagged for offline use so the
system always kept them locally stored. I liked that by saving them in
Google Drive I had versions of every change I made I could roll back too if
I messed something up. Running it in this way on 2.8 never seemed to be an
issue. As a side note, I only looked into this because I know ArcGIS didn't
perform well at all if I tried saving any of the files in a Google
Drive/Dropbox folder. I added a second hard drive and moved all my projects
into it and the performance issues completely went away.

The crashes however continued to happen and each update I installed seemed
to make them more frequent. Sometimes I couldn't open a project at all but
discovered if I opened it with QGIS last time, if I used QGIS with GRASS it
would open it and the next time it did this I couldn't open it with the
GRASS version anymore but I could with the regular version. Eventually one
day I came into work and I could open QGIS but not my main project (not in
either normal or with GRASS). I couldn't even open older versions of it. As
I could open new or other old projects without issues, I started wondering
if perhaps the previous hanging issues caused by having it on a shared
drive caused some level of corruption that newer versions of QGIS just
couldn't handle gracefully. I eventually just rebuilt my project completely
and the stability issues while using QGIS went away. I'm glad I kept a text
file that I copied all my complex formulas/expressions into for backups.
However, it would still always crash when I closed QGIS but it was saving
the project safely.

The crashing on closing issue was resolved by accident while resolving
another issue I had when I upgraded to 3.10 (or possibly a later version of
3.8) where zooming to a point location took me way off the map (didn't do
that previously). Someone pointed me in the direction to look at what EPSG
I was running my project as. I was using one that the former GIS person
used, which was commonly used by higher levels of government in my region
years ago so that was often our starting point. Reading up on the specs it
didn't seem to be as compatible with some others. Turns out by changing to
a different more common EPSG (still for my region), not only did those
zooming to a point issues go away, it also no longer crashes when I close
QGIS.

Also using this different EPSG with QGIS 3.10 it opens my project in about
5-7 seconds now (fastest previously was about 20 seconds which was still at
least 6 times faster than ArcGIS).

Hope something in this is useful.

*Jason Carlson*

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 11:32 AM David Addy <davesgrandad at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to update this issue. I am still getting slow start ups and qgis not
> responding freeze ups just as bad on QGIS 3.8.3.
> Every version since 3.4.1 have given these problems.
> I have gone through all the files from old versions that I could find and
> deleted them.
> I have tried new profiles, disabling plug ins and removing the browser
> panel.
> I have tried turning off my Kaspersky security software.
> None of these changes have made any significant difference.
> I realise that only a few of us experience these issues, but there must be
> an answer somewhere.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-User-f4125267.html

*Starland County*
*Morrin, AB  *
*(403) 772-3793*
**www.starlandcounty.com
<http://www.starlandcounty.com>**
*
*
*Our organization accepts no
liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any
actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that
information is subsequently confirmed in writing. The content of this
message is confidential. If you have received it by mistake, please inform
us by an email reply and then delete the message. It is forbidden to copy,
forward, or in any way reveal the contents of this message to anyone. *