[Qgis-user] Thrashing after toggling editing off

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Wed Nov 20 12:39:41 PST 2019

I'm observing this behavior under 3.4 on Linux and OS X Catalina and
3.10 on OS X Catalina. I use Field Calculator on a vector layer to
create a new field with $area values. I toggle editing off hoping to
save the layer with its new field and the system thrashes on one thread,
about 1/3 system and 2/3 user. Plenty of RAM, no swapping. The modify
time of the .dbf file that would be being written keeps getting advanced
to the current time but it doesn't get any bigger. The app is
unresponsive and the cursor spins while hovering over it. What's going
on in there, and why?

Thanks,

Jeff