[Qgis-user] Request help 'Aggregate polygons' QGIS 3

Harfoot A.J. ajph at geodata.soton.ac.uk
Mon Nov 25 08:32:59 PST 2019

Hi Flavio,

I'm not aware of a single tool that is the exact equivalent of the ArcGIS one.

The Concave hull (k-nearest neighbor) tool (part of the QGIS Processing toolbox, not a plugin) will generate the the bounding polygon, but does not allow input data to be grouped by a separation distance, but will accept a 'group' field which creates a polygon for each set of features having the same value for the field. This allows the separation distance to be incorporated:

  1.  Buffer the polygons by the maximum separation distance required, dissolving the results
  2.  Spatially join the original polygons to the buffer output so that each original polygon receives the unique id of the buffer polygon that it falls within
  3.  Create concave hulls using the buffer id field as the group field.

This sequence could be easily added to a model, simplifying and reducing the chances of errors when executing.

Andy