[Qgis-user] GeoPackage deadlocks (Andrea Peri)

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Mon Oct 7 07:55:03 PDT 2019

Hi Paul,

I think we're approaching this from opposing directions. It is *exactly*
the "downsides" of the file format that impose these constraints. The
problem is that QGIS isn't handling them well which is where we get
situations like this.

I 100% agree with you about it being unreasonable for users to know
about this, and QGIS definitely needs to handle it better, especially if
it's the default format. That's why I came in with the docs to explain
where the problem probably lies.

 > 2. Ideally it would be possible for QGIS to prevent multiple edit
sessions

Multiple edit sessions are absolutely fine, on a *local* filesystem at
the SQLite file level. It may *not* be fine at the data level: if you
and I edit the same polygon at the same time and then commit, what
happens? Which does QGIS keep? That's an application-level problem for
QGIS (no idea if it's addressed). For the SQLite file itself, *only*
multiple editors via the network is a problem (well, at the other things
on that link). It's definitely something QGIS needs to be able to handle
better / warn about / lock.

I'd suggest raising this second issue on the QGIS tracker as a bug.

Cheers,

Jonathan