[Qgis-user] Importing records from both spreadsheet and gpx files

G Fourteener gfourteener at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 11 09:49:11 PDT 2019

Hello,
I've been trying to figure out how to do this...
I have a spreadsheet of records that has a field for the GPX file for each record. I'm able to use ogr2ogr to import the spreadsheet and the GPX files into different layers in a geopackage file. I haven't yet been able to figure out how to combine the two data sources into a single layer, or add a geometry column (and other GPX columns) to the imported spreadsheet layer from the corresponding GPX file. I've also tried using ogrmerge. The GPX layer uses any name within that file (which is different than the filename). I see QGIS has a vector layer merge function, but don't think that will work. Looks like using Python and gdal/ogr modules might work...
The spreadsheet looks like:name, gpx filename, source, date, notes
Thanks,Gerry