[Qgis-user] QGIS in INSPIRE, QAntarctica etc (Metadata)

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 10:51:24 PDT 2019

Hi,

Le mar. 24 sept. 2019 à 19:07, Falk Huettmann <fhuettmann at alaska.edu> a
écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> as Paolo suggested,
> I should ask the list, so here I do:
>
> "QGIS does have support to metadata. In fact, INSPIRE EU officials have
> run extensive tests, and it is more compliant than any other GIS".

I think those tests concern web services and web services metadata. QGIS is
probably a very compliant client and server since some work has been done
in that area. However, I am not aware of an embedded tool to create INSPIRE
- ISO compliant metadata from QGIS. We currently can create Dublin Core
metadata in the layer properties, and this comes from the great work funded
by the world bank to link QGIS and Geonode.

This work has been discussed into the QEP 91:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/91

I think this area needs funding to add ISO compliant metadata templates to
store and edit (which is not trivial given the hierarchical structure of
ISO 19139 ). Maybe Tim has some fresh info on this topic.

> Could somebody please point me to details and to follow up on  ?
>
> There are four questions in this:
> -what about the U.S. and China government and their buy-in with this, aka
> none?

I think US goes to FDGC format.

> -if there is ISO compliance, how can there be different fractions  and
> some being ignored
> (e.g. FGDC and USGS)?

you should try to discuss in the Geonetwork lists. Templates compatibility
is often discussed there. I was handling a catalog before and we could
reduce easily ISO to Dublin Core. I think we can do the same with most
metadata formats

> -I have 'good' ISO compliant xml metadata files for try out, but they are
> not loading into QGIS qmd; we need a cross-platform approach to cater
> biology, geology, geography and social data. How done ?.

this is because QMD is currently for Dublin Core format. not ISO

> -real-world example: Antarctica is to have mandatory data, and with
> metadata; for global mankind. Norway runs and offers a QGIS-based Antarctic
> concept, but widely without relevant metadata.
> https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/case_studies/antarctica.html

Up to now, I lived with the INSPIRE regulations this way:

Use a standard metadata catalog, geonetwork for instance.
Handle all your data in some reference qgs files (or a directory tree of
qlr could do)
Use some ETL to parse these files and generate automatically metadata
entries in the catalog using CSW transactions
Use QGIS server to render nice overviews for those metadata templates.
Moderate those metadata and publish those that need to be according to your
INSPIRE obligations. In most case, one entity produce very few datasets
that need to be sent. We often try to publish dataset that are belonging to
other autorities.
Use QGIS server to publish datasets
Wait again some years for the real GML application schema to publish full
compliant services (or wait for them to be simplified to REST services). If
really nessary, hire someone here (but we are way beyond the metadata topic)
Done.

> They would be a typical example for us; looks like a violation of the
> Antarctic Treaty even; not ?

Mm, I don't follow you on this.

> Thanks again, more later
>     Falk Huettmann PhD, Professor