[Qgis-user] GeoPackage deadlocks (Andrea Peri)

Paul Wittle paul.wittle at dorsetcouncil.gov.uk
Fri Sep 27 00:13:27 PDT 2019

Hi Andrea and Enrico,

Thank you for providing an answer even if it was not what I was hoping to hear; it was the conclusion I'd reached myself.

Has this issue been considered given the official move from shapefile to geopackage as the default format?

My understanding was that shapefiles could be used over a network and whilst multiple people editing was dangerous it did not cause deadlocks.

Combined with the issues relating to MapInfo tab files over a network I've got into some hot water over my attempt to get QGIS rolled out in our organisation now. I'm going to have to think carefully about my next steps as it can be difficult to educate large numbers of staff and the two issues mean that people using QGIS incorrectly can cause pretty big issues.

To summarise,
 - You open a geopackage and save to the network; someone else comes along and opens it in their QGIS and everything looks okay until the PCs deadlock...ICT help calls and data corruption may occur.
 - You open a MapInfo tab file from the network and it looks fine (accept that it my draw in a user projection). MapInfo user receive errors but this is unknown to the QGIS user...ICT help calls result.

Whilst I'm glad the forums have helped to diagnose both behaviours I would personally say that the issues pose a bit of a threat to software adoption by larger companies and institutions that may be using Windows networks and potentially migrating from MapInfo.

In both cases my gut feel is that the best solution might be to look into use detection. If GDAL (I assume) can be improved to detect that either file type is already open then it might be possible to simply ban a second user from opening the file at the same time. This might frustrate some users but most importantly it would make the application safer from an ICT perspective.

These are of course just my personal opinion from my particular use case so please don't be offended by them if you disagree but I'd be really happy to hear how others are approaching the issues and/or opposing views?

Many thanks,
Paul

Message: 4