[Qgis-user] Cant open hdf files

Fielding, Eric J (US 329A) eric.j.fielding at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Sep 27 06:51:28 PDT 2019

>   Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 10:28:08 +0530
>    From: Neeldip Barman <neeldip7 at gmail.com>

>   Hi,
>  I have tried both QGIS 3.8.3 and 3.4 but QGIS cant open HDF files from
 >  MODIS. I always get this error :
 >  *"Raster layer provider is not valid". *
 > Is it a bug with the software cause? Cause in the file types .hdf file is
>   there.
>    I really like using QGIS for my work for the simplicity but this issue.
>    -Neeldip

The NASA MODIS data is stored in a type of HDF4 file called HDF-EOS. This is readable by GDAL. The QGIS downloads should include GDAL, but perhaps you did not install GDAL during your QGIS installation? The other possibility is that you have GDAL installed but the file was corrupted at some step.

++Eric