[Qgis-user] Split features not working for me

Iain at jcis.net.au Iain at jcis.net.au
Thu Apr 16 04:42:20 PDT 2020

I am trying to split a line feature using the "split features" tool on the
Editing toolbar in QGIS 10.4.

The manual advice on how to do this is as follows

To split line or polygon features:

Select the Split Features tool.

Draw a line across the feature(s) you want to split. If a selection is
active, only selected features are split.

When set, default values or clauses are applied to corresponding fields and
other attributes of the parent feature are by default copied to the new
features.

You can then as usually modify any of the attributes of any resulting
feature.

The tool works sometimes but for the last few hours it is constantly
crashing QGIS.

What I am doing is

Selecting the line

Editing is on

Left Click on the Tool

I get a circular cross hair object

I position that on one side of the line and left click

I then drag the line across the line feature.

I then right Click and get an error message - "No features were split if
there are selected features the split tool only applies to those. If you
would like to split all the features under the split line, clear the
selection".

If I left click the line is not finished and keeps drawing.

If I right click - nothing happens for a while, then QGIS crashes.

I have tried rebooting my computer. I have tried QGIS Noosa, I have tried
screaming in frustration.

I have looked at YouTube videos (most are using QGIS 2).

The property information is

Name

NSW Railway lines 2018

Path

 <file:///Y:/Maps/Railway%20infrastructure/NSW/NSW%20Railways.gpkg>
Y:\Maps\Railway infrastructure\NSW\NSW Railways.gpkg

Source

Y:/Maps/Railway infrastructure/NSW/NSW Railways.gpkg|layername=NSW Railway
lines 2018

Storage

GPKG

Comment

Encoding

UTF-8

Geometry

Line (MultiLineStringZ)

CRS

EPSG:4326 - WGS 84 - Geographic

Extent

141.0010000000000048,-37.2603000000000009 :
153.6129999999999995,-28.1656000000000013

Unit

degrees

Feature count

12,317

I am fairly new to QGIS so I am really looking for detailed blow by blow
instructions or help.

Thanks

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants