[Qgis-user] topology checker - Check if point features are covered by line features

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Fri Apr 17 09:42:51 PDT 2020

Hi Marshal,

I looked at your data. The first problem is that none or your line nodes
intersect with a point.  It looks close... but it's not close enough.
By using "snap geometry location", I was able to create a new line that
snaps to your point.  (called Topologie snapped_line in the file I will
send you in private).  A "Select by location" or a "Join Attributes by
location" confirms that the points now intersect the Topologie snapped
line layer. The Join Attributes by location will permit you to find the
problems as you can discard records that do not intersect.  This will
give you what you want.

As for the topology Checker, it seems that a line cannot cover a point
or a point cannot cover a line even if point and line nodes intersect
(Can someone confirm this?).  I can only assume that QGIS works with the
correct assumption that a point and a line does not have a surface to
cover and therefore, cannot cover anything.  I assume, based on your
observations that ESRI does not follow that assumption.

You can however create a 1 m buffer around your line (Topologie
Buffered_line in the file).  Then, you can create the rule (polygon must
contain point). That rule will work in the topology Checker.

Cheers!

Nicolas