[Qgis-user] How to Create These type of Watershed Maps in QGIS

Priv.-Doz. Dr. Maria Shinoto maria.shinoto at zaw.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Aug 6 17:28:42 PDT 2020

Sorry, just an addendum,

for creating these watershed maps, you need a DEM, older satellite data should suffice for larger maps. I was working on a small scale (16 km2) with a 5m DTM.

The process is the same: use WangLiu algorithm in the processing toolbox (SAGA tools) to fill sinks, then calculate Strahler order (SAGA tools), set a threshold for the start of a "stream", then define a point for the upstream area. You can vectorize the area and then style the streams (great with the order value, you can set the width of the streams) and the drainage basins.

I am still impressed, it is so helpful and easy. You can do the same with GRASS tools as well, although some steps vary a bit.

Good luck,
Maria

Hi,

I just created one yesterday with the book of Hans van der Kwast. So easy! (when you are told what to do...)

He has a YouTube channel where you can follow these instructions as well.

Best,
Maria