[Qgis-user] Problem installing QGIS on Ubuntu 20.04 - key authentification

Ben Hur Pintor bnhr.dev at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 04:43:16 PDT 2020

Hi Eva,

AFAIK, the 2019 keys have recently expired thus a new one was added fairly
recently for 2020 (a few days ago if I'm not mistaken).

The error you're mentioning also happens to me when I try to download the
key from a keyserver and add the key to apt in without manual fingerprint
verification.

When I use the longer method to add the key, that is to verify the key
first and add it afterwards, the error doesn't occur on my machine.

>From the QGIS website:
*Get and verify the key*

wget -O - https://qgis.org/downloads/qgis-2020.gpg.key | gpg
--importgpg --fingerprint F7E06F06199EF2F2

pub   rsa4096 2020-08-08 [SCEA] [expires: 2021-08-08]
      3987 7635 093F 2656 0197  11FA F7E0 6F06 199E F2F2uid
[unknown] QGIS Archive Automatic Signing Key (2020)
<qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org>

*Add key*

gpg --export --armor F7E06F06199EF2F2 | sudo gpg --no-default-keyring
--keyring gnupg-ring:/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/qgis-archive.gpg
--importsudo chmod a+r /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/qgis-archive.gpg

What I've noticed is that the *trust* of the new key is *[unknown]* instead
of *[ultimate]* which could be the cause why adding it in one command
fails. I'm not sure as well if this has any repercussions as to the
validity of the keys. Probably they still need to be signed as trusted
since they are new. P.S. I'm not an expert with GPG or keys.

Try to use the longer method for adding the keys and see if it works for
you.

All the best,
Ben Hur

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 6:28 PM <evaroben at posteo.de> wrote:

> Dear QGIS and Ubuntu users,
>
> I installed QGIS on Ubuntu 20.04, and it doesn't really work. I used the
> advice on the QGIS website:
> https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#debian-ubuntu
>
> On the terminal, I have a problem with the QGIS key and keystrings. When
> entering these commands
> "wget -qO - https://qgis.org/downloads/qgis-2020.gpg.key | sudo gpg
> --no-default-keyring --keyring
> gnupg-ring:/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/qgis-archive.gpg --import sudo chmod
> a+r /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/qgis-archive.gpg"
>   the system tells me:
>
> "neisolsayaparizabi at neisolsayaparizabi-N2x0WU:~$ wget -qO -
> https://qgis.org/downloads/qgis-2020.gpg.key | sudo gpg
> --no-default-keyring --keyring
> gnupg-ring:/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/qgis-archive.gpg --import gpg: key
> F7E06F06199EF2F2: 1 Beglaubigung wegen fehlendem Schlüssel nicht geprüft
> gpg: Schlüssel F7E06F06199EF2F2: "QGIS Archive Automatic Signing Key
> (2020) <qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org>" nicht geändert gpg: Anzahl
> insgesamt bearbeiteter Schlüssel: 1 gpg:              unverändert: 1"
>
> You can see that my sytem is in German. It means something like: key
> F7E06F06199EF2F2: 1 authentification not verified because of missing
> key. When looking at the list of authentifications, the key in question
> is there:
>
> (screenshot attached)
>
> What can be the problem? QGIS is installed, but when wanting to connect
> to a map server, it indicates that this is not possible due to an error
> in the SSL protocol. I want to use the GIS data from this site:
>
> https://wiki.earthdata.nasa.gov/display/GIBS/Geographic+Information+System+%28GIS%29+Usage#expand-QGIS
>
> Thanks a lot for helping me!

---
*Ben Hur S. Pintor*