[Qgis-user] Migrating legacy QGIS instance

Charles Dixon-Paver charles at kartoza.com
Tue Aug 11 06:30:47 PDT 2020

Regarding the one-vs-many approach to gpkgs, I recommend consolidation
(within reason). I feel that the temptation to use gpkg as a drop-in
replacement for shp is familiarity with processes I personally consider to
be largely outmoded. I think it's worth getting over the initial
(relatively shallow) learning curve so that when you start working with db
oriented systems like PostGIS, everything makes sense right out of the gate.

Basically it boils down to how you want to manage or distribute them as you
don't have traditional db roles. Personally, I try to package things into
"data.gpkg/something" and "data.gpkg/somethingelse" wherever possible,
rather than "a.gpkg/a" and "b.gpkg/b". It usually makes moving data around
easier for me. If you have a lot of inputs, maybe split it into unique
gpkgs based on some categorising criteria (like you might do with a schema)
rather than one monolithic gpkg. Performing maintenance (vacuum) on a large
number of unique gpkgs seems like an unnecessary chore.

One limitation for gpkg is that certain processing tools/ configurations
will only support writing to an entire gpkg, so if you lack experience
you'll need to be careful not to overwrite all of your data and also have a
decent backup plan in place. Usually you can get away with utilising a
scratch.gpkg for that purpose with no risk to your primary datastore.

Using the one-per-item feature offers little data management benefit from
shapefiles aside from removing the auxiliary files and being able to store
styles (as well as lae). There is little performance benefit over shp
directly from what I understand (both use WKB), but there is ~5MB of
storage overhead for each unique gpkg (if I remember correctly), but this
will depend on your use case.

Hope that helps.