[Qgis-user] QGIS3.10 MacOS Catalina R-script issues

Maria Niermann (23153112) 23153112 at student.uwa.edu.au
Wed Aug 26 04:01:18 PDT 2020

Hi

brand new to this all ...

I recently installed QGIS 3.10 on my MacOS Catalina MacBookPro and it seemed to run quite well for a while, including dealing with r-scripts until one (given from uni lecturer) r-script made it crash.

I uninstall, reinstalled, it seemed to run fine. Until I closed and reopened and it then immediately crashed again.
 the main log showed this error:

WARNING    Codec not found. Falling back to system locale

What does this mean?

A friendly helper IDd (some, other?) issues to Python and we ended up installing QGIS 3.6 and Python 3.6 and that seemed to fix the r-script crashing issue, but I now encounter other issues. In part a linking issue to old ghosts (that issue with fully deleting things from Mac and then some) and we might be able to fix this.

However, I generally preferred working with QGIS 3.10, so would like to have a crack at getting that running again.

Overall the issue appears to be that any version of QGIS went back to accessing a no longer installed  (?!) Python 3.7 version. We got that fixed for the QGIS 3.6 version (talking to Python 3.6 now) and I am wondering if we went about forcing QGIS3.10 to talk to Python 3.8 is that the way forward? Or might QGIS3.10 better work with Python 3.6 as well?
Or any other ideas where to look for what.

In essence the QGIS3.10 runs (ran) just fine.
Just, only for one opening of it.
Close, reopen - it's befuddled.

Any pointers welcome.
I am 3/4 illiterate with this stuff, but have a friendly helper atm.

Ta
Maria

PS _ My helper has the same hard and software I have and runs QGIS 3.10 just fine he says... so... I know it is possible.
I still have an old QGIS 2.8 installed not sure that matters.