[Qgis-user] Missing lunar CRS

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 15:34:17 PDT 2020

On Tue, 1 Sep 2020 at 02:13, Schroeder, Curtis M. <cschroeder at draper.com> wrote:

> Last year I was working on lunar terrain data using QGIS 3.8. Subsequent
> releases (3.10, 3.12, 3.14) reported CRS errors when I tried to work with the
> same data and projects.
>
> I have found the lunar CRS I was using in v3.8.x are missing from v3.14.1. The
> missing CRS impacting my work are:
>
> * Moon 2000 (IAU2000:30100)
>
> * Moon North Pole Stereographic (IAU2000: 30118)
>
> * Moon South Pole Stereographic (IAU2000: 30120)
>
> Why were these removed from QGIS and how can they be added back in?

This relates to the upgrade to proj library version 6 which happened
for QGIS 3.10. QGIS no longer maintains a database of CRS definitions,
rather this all comes from the proj library's database. And
unfortunately, proj doesn't (yet) include the IAU2000 definitions.

There's some relevant discussion here:

http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/PROJ-IAU2000-CRS-definitions-td5405737.html

I'm sure the proj team would LOVE to have someone with motivation and
knowledge of these CRS definitions help to get this earlier work
completed and get the definitions included in the proj database. If
that person is you (fingers crossed!!), please reach out to the proj
team and chat with them about the way forward...

Nyall