[Qgis-user] QGIS really slow with .gpkg layers

Nicolas Cadieux njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 11:30:22 PST 2020

Hi,

See below.

On 2020-12-10 5:36 p.m., Francesco Pelullo wrote:

> Il gio 10 dic 2020, 16:50 Nicolas Cadieux <njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com
> <mailto:njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com>> ha scritto:
>
>     Hi,
>     I also used txt files to load LiDAR points in QGIS because .shp
>     was not good.  This was before .gpkg came along, before I learned
>     Python or CloudCompare.   I am just starting to familiarize myself
>     with the geopackage format so i am no .gpkg expert but this is
>     what I would do or ask myself:
>
>     How are the files stored? Server, USB stick, hard-drive, SSD?
>

> They are usually stored in a SMB server, accessible via VPN because
> this Company has multiple offices. However, due to the really slowly
> data access, projects and data are moved in local SSD disk before
> access/editing.
>

>     Are the files in the same CRS as the project?  If not, every thing
>     may be read in cache and reprojected even before you start...
>

> Yes, projects and data layers are created with same CRS.
>

>     What happens when the files are simplified?  Try more files and
>     less layer, try more points in the same files.
>

> This could be easy to do, i will check on next job.
>
>     Try a fresh project an open the layers one by one.  Is one more
>     problematic than others?
>

> No, It seems to me that geopackages becames slow after some days.
> E.g., if i create a new project and new geopackages, qgis has no
> problems to open them in a decent time (one or two minutes). But after
> some hours, if i close qgis and restart it with the same project/data,
> access becames really slow (15 minutes and more).

This is probably what we need to google for then.

I Found this ???

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/338478/reading-geopackage-with-large-feature-classes-is-very-slow

Perhaps you should get on the QGIS dev mailing list and ask why
geopackage get progressively slower.

Cheers!

--
Nicolas Cadieux