[Qgis-user] Volume calculation - Reg

Kirk Schmidt kirk at nortekresources.com
Fri Dec 18 05:40:44 PST 2020

Hi Mike:

I usually convert the contours or breaklines into a point layer and then
generate a dem from that.  This is not a precise methodology but it
would depend on what you are trying to do and the precision of the
underlying data.

Kirk Schmidt

On 12/18/2020 5:28 AM, Michael Dufty wrote:

> The links for Nicolas are quite useful, but I think to create a raster
> DEM from vector lines you probably need to use the interpolate
> triangulation with breaklines or structure lines.
>
> The dialogue takes a bit of getting used to, you need to choose the
> layer the data will come from, click + then in the box below choose
> whether the layer is being used for points, breaklines or structure lines.
>
> I’ve had major issues with the interpolation crashing QGIS if I try to
> used it with breaklines for complex imported data, but it seems to
> work OK for simple test geometries, and may be good for a simple
> excavation.
>
> I’d be interested to know if anyone has had success with interpolation
> using breaklines for more complex data, I’ve had to resort to other
> software trying to import DEM supplied as dxf 3d faces, but maybe I’m
> missing a basic step like fixing geometry or removing duplicates.

Kirk Schmidt, MScF, BScF, RPF
General Manager
Nortek Resource Solutions Inc.
RR # 1