[Qgis-user] Error of "Cannot Use Project Transform..."

Michael Treglia mtreglia at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 18:15:50 PST 2020

Hi All,

Using QGIS 3.10.2 on Windows x64, installed via OSGeo4w.

When opening a .qgz file with data in ESRI code 102008 and the project in
EPSG 4326, I get a warning - "Cannot use project transform between
ESRI:102008 and Unknown CRS"

Upon clicking the Details button, a window pops up - "Project
Transformation Not Available", with the full text pasted at the end of the
email. There is also a link to download and button to install the "Grid
Shift File"

I wanted to check if there was a big change from 3.4 to 3.10 that
deprecates certain types of transformations or something, that now requires
these grid shift files to specifically be installed. I know there have been
some major broader changes with gdal and such, but this issue does not
happen with version 3.4.15.  As much as anything, I'm just thinking about
what might come up in future workflows, as 3.10 becomes the LTR.

Thanks so much for any insights, and for your time. Best regards,
Mike

Full message from Project Transformations Not Available Box:

This project specifies a preset transform between ESRI:102008 -
North_America_Albers_Equal_Area_Conic and Unknown CRS:
GEOGCRS["unknown",DATUM["unknown",ELLIPSOID["WGS 8…, which is not available
for use on the system.

   - This transformation requires the grid file “NA83SCRS.GSB”, which is
   not available for use on the system.

The operation specified for use in the project is:

+proj=pipeline +step +inv +proj=aea +lat_0=40 +lon_0=-96 +lat_1=20
+lat_2=60 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +ellps=GRS80 +step +inv +proj=hgridshift
+grids=NA83SCRS.GSB +step +proj=aea +lat_0=40 +lon_0=-96 +lat_1=20
+lat_2=60 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +ellps=GRS80