[Qgis-user] Download paths from OpenStreetMap

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Wed Feb 26 11:03:35 PST 2020

It is possible to download paths from OpenStreetMap. The easiest way would
be use use overpass-turbo.eu. Here is a sample query to load all paths in
Montana. http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/R65. If the query is too large for
overpass, the area can be split into smaller sections. Another option is to
use the HOT export tool at https://export.hotosm.org/. The HOT export tool
does require an OSM id. Beyond that you can download the entire data file
for a country or region from http://download.geofabrik.de

There is a plugin the QuickOSM plugin for QGIS. I haven't used it much
since I'm used to running overpass but it has a clean user interface.

If you are not familiar with OSM tagging, I strongly recommend reviewing
the wiki at wiki.openstreetmap.org. It may help you understand the tags as
well as filter out features you may not want.

Let me know if you need more help.

Best,
Clifford

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 9:41 AM Alberto Oscar Allepuz Palau <
Alberto.Allepuz at uab.cat> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In openstreet map is possible to have access to paths for trecking  (https
> <https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/>://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#
> <https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/>routelist?map=7!44.0637!8.27
> <https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/>) and is also possible to download
> them as gpx files (which then I can import to QGIS).
>
> However, they have to be downloaded one by one and depending on the level
> of resolution the web shows more or less paths as they are classified in
> different levels  (i.e., continental, national, regional and other)?
>
> Is there any way to download all the paths (or at least at country level)
> at the same time?
>
> I am conducting an analysis in which I want to include the distance to
> these paths from places with outbreaks of disease as a possible risk factor
> and that is why I would like to import them into QGIS.
>
> Thanks for your advice
>
> Cheers
> Alberto

@osm_washington