[Qgis-user] Thoughts on QGIS Development and LTR Releases

Groene Bij mail at groenebij.nl
Sat Feb 29 10:55:37 PST 2020

Hi all,

Thank you for bringing up this topic.

For me the release schedule and the different abbreviations are not very helpful when choosing a qgis version to install. I am not a software developer and thus have little understanding what the different releases are all about.

Clarity, however, is always appreciated, and that is the main thing missing in this topic:

Chris is talking about 3.10.2 having been labeled LTR

Qgis.org right now (29th of February) is mentioning 3.10.3 as LTR

The release schedule on qgis.org is mentioning 3.10.3 as LR with 3.4.13 being the most recent LTR

So things are unclear. Qgis.org itself seems to be unclear which version actually is the LTR.

The information on the Road Map page (schedule release) is also unclear:

“The schedule is aligned to produce roughly the same dates for each year given our four monthly releases with LTRs in late february.”

Looking at the schedule, LTR’s are being released in October, not February.

In this mail Régis says:

“LTR does not mean stable. LTR means it will gain bugfixes longer than releases.”

What does this actually mean? Does this mean 3.4.13 will have releases like 3.4.13-1 and -2 etc.? I do actually find them in the download section ‘older releases’ or ‘previous releases’ (also no idea why there are two different download sections).

I do not find any information on the release schedule page about LTR’s having different bugfix releases. The Road Map page only says: ´ Every third release (starting with 2.8) is a long-term-release (LTR) that is maintained until the next long-term-release occurs. To me, ‘maintained’ can mean a lot of things.

Considering LTR and PR:

What exactly is the difference between 3.4.13 and 3.4.14? Does 3.4.14 contain the same bugfixes as 3.4.13-3? The most recent release date of 3.4.14 is 2019-dec-07 and for 3.4.13-3 is 2019-dec-05.

Or does 3.4.14 only contain new features, compared to the original 3.4.13, released in October?

Additional information on how to ‘read’ the release schedule would be much appreciated. I find the current information difficult to understand and it seems to me it is written too much from a developers or IT-minded perspective in stead od a general user perspective.

Best regards,

Jeroen Hovens