[Qgis-user] Thoughts on QGIS Development and LTR Releases

Iain at jcis.net.au Iain at jcis.net.au
Sat Feb 29 13:48:06 PST 2020

Maybe because I am an archaeologist, but I have always thought that Long
Term is a bit longer than a few months. In practical terms running QGIS in
an organisation you want the stability of LTR for at least 12 months so that
people can be trained and comfortable in using QGIS. I have found that the
documentation and training materials do not keep up with the changes and as
a new started it is disconcerting to follow the documentation and see a
totally different screen when doing one of the steps. Having the stability
of the LTR allows for training and documentation to keep up (especially
since this is a voluntary effort) and for users who are using QGIS as a tool
simply to get on with their work.

I would vote for a LRT being defined as not changed for 12 months.

I would disagree with the point that ArcGIS is better documented than QGIS.
My experience with my project team is that they found the various videos and
training in QGIS enough to get them going from scratch (i.e. what is this
you are doing?) to doing professional maps and limited analysis in QGIS in
about a fortnight. I think that the variety of documentation also helps.

I would also note that although ArcGIS Desktop is updated on a regular basis
I have absolutely no idea what actually changes except that I loose all my
setups and styles with every upgrade. I suspect most of the ESRI love goes
elsewhere or the changes are in the various very expensive addons.

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants

P.O. Box 2397

Burwood North