[Qgis-user] Qgis crashes while loading WMTS layers

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 23:18:09 PST 2020

Hi Patrick -

Swap space is an internal component the underlying operating system (OS)
uses for handling memory request that exceeds the ram resources of the
computer. A normal user program like QGIS has no "knowledge" about this
facility and can't directly manipulate the swap system.

As Jonathan describes, "swap" space for for other program is temporary
file storage, usually placed in a specific directory (in windows
designated by the environment variable %TEMP%). QGIS uses this directory
too.

A QGIS crash can be caused by running out of memory resources and/or
temp file storage. However, that is result of a bad setup of your
operating system, which can limit how much swap space, that can be
allocated to memory hungry programs and the size of hard-disk used for
swap space and/or temp storage

So what to do:

 1. Check memory consumption when using QGIS. Is it really using all the
    ram - memory and starting to swap ?
 2. Check the setup of the swap space parameters. It it using a
    hard-disk which is running out of storage space.
 3. Check the setup of the temp storage parameters. It it using a
    hard-disk which  is running out of storage space ? Are the user
    allowed to allocate enough storage?

(I can't be more specific not knowing the operating system you use)

If the above checks out OK and you still have issues with QGIS crashing..

The shift from QGIS 2.x to QGIS 3.x meant a complete change of the
underlying graphics subsystem QT from ver 4.x to ver. 5.x (and a huge
amount of other changes).

One or more of those changes  might cause a failure as you described.
However, you have to check the above and then write an error issue
(https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues) where you describe error messages,
your specific setup like operating system and version, QGIS version and
- if possible - test-data and project to replicate the issue.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Bo Victor Thomsen