[Qgis-user] How to install QGIS in Debian 11?

Patrick Dunford enzedrailmaps at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 11:15:35 PDT 2020

Replying to both comments so far in this conversation.

All package managers to install the Qgis packages are dependent on the
dependencies of these packages being available from their respective
repositories. With an unstable distro this is more difficult as the
packages in the distro repositories are constantly being updated and may
not match the required ones at any particular point in time. As the
message from the package manager says very clearly *"if you are using
the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been
created or been moved out of Incoming."*

Debian development editions are changing a lot more rapidly than the
production editions which are noted for their stability so this is
simply a fact of life using unstable or testing editions of Debian.
There is always a risk with the unstable versions both of the distro and
software that an update may break either and you may have to wait a few
days until whichever unmet dependency is resolved but this may not
actually happen until shortly after the next point release of Qgis 3.14
is produced.

If you wanted to debug this further you could look at the lists of
dependencies that are at this URL
http://qgis.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-amd64/Packages and
then one possibility is to check all the dependencies of each package in
turn. This is no doubt highly laborious considering the number of
dependencies listed for the example libqgis-3d3.14.0 the first one in
the list, and for all the others.

Using the nightly tree which is built more often therefore potentially
more up to date is probably a better long term strategy. For example the
current packages list at
http://qgis.org/debian-nightly/dists/unstable/main/binary-amd64/Packages
tells me there are later versions of some of the packages listed below
present and they may be more likely to be up to date with the
dependencies that are present in your computer.

There is one question I am unsure of however and that is whether
unstable is for Ubuntu distros, and Debian users should be using the sid
branch instead, or whether they are actually the same. sid is only
available in debian-nightly tree however.