[Qgis-user] Project templates

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Tue Jun 16 23:05:06 PDT 2020

On 6/17/20 12:28 AM, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 at 08:22, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 at 05:28, Micha Silver <tsvibar at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Even though I've been using QGIS for many years, I'm still confused by the concept of templates. When I create a basic project (currently using 3.10 on Linux) and choose "Save to..." and select "templates", a *.qgz file is indeed created in my templates directory. When I restart QGIS and select "New from template" that template project is opened. But then, any further changes are saved back to the template unless I explicitly do "Save as...". I would expect that "New from template" should open a *new* project with all the elements from the template, but not allowing to alter the original template.
>>
>> This definitely sounds like a bug, and a serious one at that! I'll see
>> if I can resolve for 3.14...
>
> Actually, I can't reproduce either issue on 3.14

I am pretty sure I have the same feeling as Micha, that something
sometimes is going wrong. I end up with a template (or default
project??) which holds layers from an earlier project.

But I try to reproduce now and I can't. Only thing I see is that if I
use the 'create new project from default project' from
settings/options/general (after setting the current project as default),
I see a 'project_default' in my 'Project/Open Recent' list...
So it maybe that I sometimes open that one... and as it is not a
template, it just opens as the default project and I save stuff in that
one...

So maybe the concepts 'default project' and 'template' mix up?

There is also the 'Open project on launch'/specific project which you
can set...

I understand all are more or less different, but maybe that is too much
concepts for the average Joe  like me?
What is a 'default' project: is it a 'give me always those reference
layers-TEMPLATE or is it a template I always work on (which you then
(partly) can set with 'Open project on Launch'

What about:
- remove the 'set current project as default' stuff from the settings
- our old 'new project' icon (the white sheet) get's that little drop
down sign next to it, and:
- clicking the new project shows a dropdown with the templates

Any interaction guru's here?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde