[Qgis-user] QGIS on ARM-macOS

Christoph Jung jagodki.cj at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 03:06:36 PDT 2020

Hello everyone,

Yesterday at the WWDC, Apple announced to switch from Intel-CPUs to their self designed ARM SoCs. My experiences as a software developer are in the field of Java, python and Swift (I try to keep distance to the heap, stack, pointers etc. ^^). Because of my lack of knowledge I am interested about to know, if Apples move to change the underlying platform of macOS will have an impact on QGIS running on this OS. Is the Qt-library the interface between the QGIS-Code and the CPU, so if a Qt-version could compile against the ARM-platform, QGIS will run without problems on an ARM-CPU? Could their a problem using libraries like gdal or Geos on an ARM-platform or have they to be build for this platform before using it? Maybe they already could be used on this paltform? Or maybe this will not to be a problem because everything will work a like a charm also on another platform (but I think this is unrealistic ^^)? I know that Apple users are the minority of the QGIS community and most users will not be effected by this problem. But as a passionate Mac- und QGIS-User and after reading the news about the conference yesterday, my first thought was: will QGIS run on the new platform?

Sincerely,
Christoph