[Qgis-user] Refresh layer at interval

nagyrobi_r at yahoo.com nagyrobi_r at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 1 12:24:46 PST 2020

 Hi All!
I am trying to understand the behavior of Layer->Render-> Refresh layer at interval in QGIS
   - I sat up a flask rest api which serves a geojson.
   - I added the geojson to QGIS via Add Layer->

   - a. Protocol HTTP/cloud/etc
   - b. Type: HTTP
   - c.URI: localhost/points.geojson The points are represented on the map correctly

   - I changed the layer->Properties->Rendering-> Refresh layer at interval (5 sec)

I would have expected that there would be a call every 5 seconds towards the server and the map data would be updated accordingly. But the layer does not get refreshed. I don't see any changes neither when I remove a point from the json file on my local drive, nor if I change an attribute. If I press F5 then the canvas refreshes and it automatically loads the new data and I can see the changes. Is this the behavior that is wanted or am I misunderstanding the function of this tool? It seems like the data is cached somewhere?
from flask import Flask
from flask_restful import Api, Resource
import json

app = Flask(__name__)
api = Api(app)

class point(Resource):

    def get(self):
        with open('C:/points/venv/src/points.geojson') as json_file:
            data = json.load(json_file)
        return data

api.add_resource(point,"/points.geojson")

if __name__=="__main__":
    app.run(debug=True)Robert Nagy