[Qgis-user] Fwd: Georeferencer Plugin Help - QGIS

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 17:15:00 PST 2020

Hi,

As far as I know, the residual column represents the difference (distance
in map units) between the GCP coordinates and the place where that image
position ended up after the georeferencing process. So, yes, it represents
the error for each GCP.

To calculate the total RMSE, I think you have the formula wrong. According
to Wikipedia:

The RMSD of predicted values {\displaystyle {\hat {y}}_{t}}[image:
\hat y_t] for
times *t* of a regression's
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_analysis> dependent variable
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependent_variable> {\displaystyle
y_{t},}[image:
{\displaystyle y_{t},}] with variables observed over *T* times, is computed
for *T* different predictions as the square root of the mean of the squares
of the deviations:
{\displaystyle \operatorname {RMSD} ={\sqrt {\frac {\sum _{t=1}^{T}({\hat
{y}}_{t}-y_{t})^{2}}{T}}}.}[image: {\displaystyle \operatorname {RMSD}
={\sqrt {\frac {\sum _{t=1}^{T}({\hat {y}}_{t}-y_{t})^{2}}{T}}}.}]
So, I think you need to sum the squares of each GCP residual, divide it by
the number of GCP, and then get the Square root of the result.
If we look at an example, imagine you have 10 GCP, each with a residual of
2 m.
Your suggested formula:
Sqrt (20) = 4,47 m

Following Wikipedia suggestion: