[Qgis-user] How to get the thickness of a geol. layer from elevation isoline features

Fernando M. Roxo da Motta petro at roxo.org
Fri Nov 6 06:38:29 PST 2020

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 14:20:18 +0100, fantypus at web.de wrote:

> Hi Fernando M. Roxo da Motta,
>
> Thanks for your answer. Maybe I wasn’t clear enough. The input data
> is not just two lines, it is two sets of line features. One set of
> elevation isolines for the top level of the horizon and one for the
> bottom level of the horizon, covering a small area of few square
> kilometres (i hope you can see the attached picture). This is all the
> data I have available. I already managed to get the vertical
> thickness of the layer, but I am still struggling with the
> interpolation going across tectonic faults and no data gaps as
> mentioned above. Do you have any experience in that matter?

  Hi Eva, I really didn't understand completely your problem at first,
but I think I do now with this image you sent.  😊

  The major problem, as I see, is the interpolation across boundaries,
being it geologic faults or no data area.

  I really don't have experience in this area, my experience is with
data acquisition and processing.  Never worked on interpretation.

  I believe, although not really sure, that you may be able to
constrain the interpolation within the outer polygon or that it may
even not be necessary. At the very least, once interpolated the area
outside the boundaries may be clipped out using one of many clipping
tools available in QGIS.

  In the way I see it, the most difficult would be to get the fault
lines (the red ones in image, I suppose) as hard boundaries that would
block the interpolation across.

  Just brainstorming, if there is a way to restrain the interpolation
only within the boundaries of the outer polygon, perhaps the fault
lines could be transformed in very thin "holes" in the outer polygon(s)
in order to stop the interpolation there.

  I think that for geologists, and possibly other professionals, the
possibility to use specific lines as hard boundaries for interpolation
would be very useful.

  Sorry to not be of any help.  😞