[Qgis-user] The new temporal controller

Cory Albrecht maps at hanfastolfe.com
Sun Nov 8 17:53:57 PST 2020

Playing around with the new temporal controller I notice that it loads all
features from a layer and then (I'm guessing) filters them in memory to
draw on the canvas. I noticed it because I disconnected my laptop to go
work from the couch while we watched some TV and my data is in a a PostGIS
database. My complex is absolutely filled with wifi APs so collisions are
rampant and speed is horrible, but with the old Time Manager plugin it was
doable because it added a filter that only loaded from the DB the features
that were necessary instead of all of them. That method of Time Manager
also made things doubly snappy over the gigabit wired link compared to
117Mbps on WiFi.

Perhaps the temporal controller could use that idea to manage things
better? Could it possibly help with tickets like 39856
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/39856> and 39798
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/39798>? Also, I notice that the
attributes table for temporal labels also has *all* features, even the ones
that are not showing, and that is confusing.