[Qgis-user] creating one portable QGIS project

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 03:48:23 PDT 2020

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 12:27 PM Bernd Vogelgesang
<bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de> wrote:

> From what I now read and tried, that solution seems to be far from what Andre wants.

What the Andre wants can be achieved by saving the filesystem-based
data in a directory under the project's directory and then setting the
project's option to store datasource paths as relative, if that
doesn't work it's a bug.
Then you can make a zip/tar.gz of the project and the underlying data
and send the zip.

> It seems, you can save it TO a gpkg and not AS a gpkg.
> So in case your complete project data is not already stored within a gpkg, it won't collect and dump it as QConsolidate does. (correct?)

Correct.

> Maybe someone could shed a light about an best-practice-approach, how to organize and store the data so this tool will give a smooth workflow. (thinking e.g. of how to deal with big permanent datasets on networks drives etc. )
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bernd
>
> On 07.10.20 11:56, Andreas Neumann wrote:
>
> For storing the .qgs file in a geopackage you can simply do "Project"
> --> "Save As" --> "Geopackage".
> I think you could even have multiple .qgs project files in a single
> Geopackage.
> Andreas
> On 2020-10-07 11:50, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
>
> On 10/7/20 11:45 AM, Andre Ulrich wrote:
>
> Dear community,
>
> I want to export a QGIS project. In this project there are a few layers (the path for each layer is set according to where the data is saved on my computer). I can open the project on my computer and all the layers are available.
> But when I send the project (and all the data for the layers - everything is in one repository) to a colleague, he can not view the layers (because the paths are still set according to my computer). One can fix this in a few minutes by setting up the correct paths, but this is very annoying. And once the paths are set correctly, all the symbology from the layer properties is lost (or reset to some standard).
>
> Is there a way to save a QGIS project and all the related data as one file (so that another person, who opens this file on its own computer, does not have to set up all the paths and edit the symbology)?
>

> Try the QConsolidate plugin from Alex Bruy:
> https://github.com/alexbruy/qconsolidate
> available from his plugin repo (or github)
> https://plugins.bruy.me/qconsolidate.html
>
> It is also possible to export your data to an geopackage yourself, as you can also save symbology for layers into a geopackage, and..., wel you would need to sent 2 files then: the gpkg with you data+symbology and your QGIS project file
> (was there a plugin to write your projectfile into a gpkg?)
>
> HTH
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

Alessandro Pasotti