[Qgis-user] getting started with qgis server - countries layer not showing

Janneke van Dijk janneke.qgis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 05:03:56 PDT 2020

Dear list,

I am following along with the (testing) QGIS server guide/manual hoping
I can get QGIS server to work on my windows laptop, using
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/server_manual/getting_started.html
. I've installed XAMPP, and

http://localhost/cgi-bin/qgis_mapserv.fcgi.exe?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&REQUEST=GetCapabilities

seems to be working (I get the capabilities).

I then downloaded the training data (as instructed) from

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Training-Data/archive/v2.0.zip

and unzipped them into a folder and set the QGIS_PROJECT_FILE variable
to point to the world.qgs file. The guide continues with:

http://localhost/qgisserver?
   MAP=/home/qgis/projects/world.qgs&
   LAYERS=countries&
   SERVICE=WMS&
   REQUEST=GetMap&
   CRS=EPSG:4326&
   WIDTH=400&
   HEIGHT=200

In Firefox, when I adjust that to:

https://localhost/cgi-bin/qgis_mapserv.fcgi.exe?LAYERS=airports&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&CRS=EPSG:4326&WIDTH=400&HEIGHT=200

I get a white rectangle with some airplanes in the top left corner - I
think that means success (for now at least).

When I replace 'airports' with 'places' it shows the same rectangle, but
with circles in the top left corner - also success, more or less.

When I replace 'airports' with 'countries' I only get to see the white
rectangle, and no countries. What could be the reason that I do not get
to see the countries? How do I go about troubleshooting this? When I
open the project file directly in QGIS I get to see all the layers and
they all look as I would expect them to look.

When I open a separate qgis desktop blank project, and start adding the
layers as WMS I have other issues:

adding each layer with epsg:3857 the layers overlay nicely with each
other and a google hybrid layer. Adding them with epsg:4326 (and setting
the project CRS to 4326) it seems as if the map gets squeezed from the
sides, so the world map looks higher than it is wide (in the example in
the tutorial it's wider than it's tall). When trying to zoom in on
Europe it will 'jump' to Asia.

This seems to suggest that the WMS is more or less working (it can be
reached from the browser) but it needs certain settings to work
properly? I am entirely new to QGIS server and any pointers to
understand what it is that I'm looking for would be greatly appreciated.
Does anyone else working with the same data manage to display the
countries layer in a browser?

Working with qgis server and desktop LTR from OSGeo4W64 on Windows 10.

Thanks,

Janneke