[Qgis-user] Road Labels

Wanda Norman wanda.mnorman2015 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 06:26:14 PDT 2020

Hello Helpful Members;

I am a fairly new user (about 3-4 months now).  I have been using the
online tutorials, the training manual and anything I can understand.

BACKGROUND

I am a parking planner so I create maps of my study area, which is usually
an entire city, in various US states.  For example, right now I am working
on Rockford, Michigan, USA.  I know it is a small area, but it is one in
which we have already done the study and I am trying to recreate everything
we did for them (my GIS person no longer works with us, so I am learning).

WHAT I NEED TO DO

I need to be able to add a layer containing street names for my study
area.  This layer needs to have an attribute table I can manipulate to get
only the streets (labels) within my study area.  I do not want the point
bubbles (ex: Target, Leo's Coney Island, etc.) that point out restaurants
and places of interest that I seem unable to get rid of when I use google
roads (xyz: https://mt1.google.com/vt/lyrs=h&x={x}&y={y}&z={z} ).

WHAT I HAVE TRIED

I am unable to manipulate data in open street maps.  I have tried to
download the roads vector file from the State of Michigan.  However, this
file is so huge (as it contains every road in the state) it keeps crashing
every time I try to manipulate it.  I have been able to select just the
roads in the area I want using an expression, but it crashes when I try to
select one of the roads to remove it from the study area (stragglers I do
not want to show after using the select area tool).  I have also tried to
select all the records I do not need in an effort to delete them in the
hopes of making the file smaller.  Again, it crashes.

MY QUESTION

Can someone please give me a link to a tutorial that will show me where and
how to get just the road names for any US city (as I need them).  Or
provide me with directions to do what I need?  I have been trying to figure
this out for over 2 months now and just can’t seem to find what I need.

As my computer constantly crashed using QGIS after the new Windows updates,
we have installed new hardware in hopes to keep it from crashing.

Dell Computer

Currently have 16 gig memory (increased from 8)

2 gig AMD Radian R5 Video card (newly installed)

Core I3 processor

Using QGIS 3.10.9 (3.14 won’t load)

Sorry for the long email.  Please let me know if you require more info.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Wanda Norman