[Qgis-user] Road Labels

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Tue Oct 20 14:21:24 PDT 2020

One thing you could do is take the roads you downloaded for Michigan and
clip them against the county boundary. You should be able to get the
county boundary from the Michican open data site or the census. If you
add both the roads and county boundary to your QGIS session I would

1. select your county

2. Open the processing toolbox

3. search for clip

4. Be sure to clip the roads with the selected county

5. Save out your new roads layer to a shapefile (or geopackage) and work
with the smaller dataset.

Yell if you have any problems - good luck!

Randy

On 10/20/20 9:26 AM, Wanda Norman wrote:

> Hello Helpful Members;
>
> I am a fairly new user (about 3-4 months now).  I have been using the
> online tutorials, the training manual and anything I can understand.
>
> BACKGROUND
>
> I am a parking planner so I create maps of my study area, which is
> usually an entire city, in various US states.  For example, right now
> I am working on Rockford, Michigan, USA.  I know it is a small area,
> but it is one in which we have already done the study and I am trying
> to recreate everything we did for them (my GIS person no longer works
> with us, so I am learning).
>
> WHAT I NEED TO DO
>
> I need to be able to add a layer containing street names for my study
> area.  This layer needs to have an attribute table I can manipulate to
> get only the streets (labels) within my study area.  I do not want the
> point bubbles (ex: Target, Leo's Coney Island, etc.) that point out
> restaurants and places of interest that I seem unable to get rid of
> when I use google roads (xyz:
> https://mt1.google.com/vt/lyrs=h&x={x}&y={y}&z={z}
> <https://mt1.google.com/vt/lyrs=h&x=%7bx%7d&y=%7by%7d&z=%7bz%7d> ).
>
> WHAT I HAVE TRIED
>
> I am unable to manipulate data in open street maps.  I have tried to
> download the roads vector file from the State of Michigan. However,
> this file is so huge (as it contains every road in the state) it keeps
> crashing every time I try to manipulate it.  I have been able to
> select just the roads in the area I want using an expression, but it
> crashes when I try to select one of the roads to remove it from the
> study area (stragglers I do not want to show after using the select
> area tool).  I have also tried to select all the records I do not need
> in an effort to delete them in the hopes of making the file smaller.
> Again, it crashes.
>
> MY QUESTION
>
> Can someone please give me a link to a tutorial that will show me
> where and how to get just the road names for any US city (as I need
> them).  Or provide me with directions to do what I need?  I have been
> trying to figure this out for over 2 months now and just can’t seem to
> find what I need.
>
> As my computer constantly crashed using QGIS after the new Windows
> updates, we have installed new hardware in hopes to keep it from crashing.
>
> Dell Computer
>
> Currently have 16 gig memory (increased from 8)
>
> 2 gig AMD Radian R5 Video card (newly installed)
>
> Core I3 processor
>
> Using QGIS 3.10.9 (3.14 won’t load)
>
> Sorry for the long email.  Please let me know if you require more info.
>
> Thank you for your kind attention.
>

> Wanda Norman

Randal Hale
rjhale at northrivergeographic.com